NB 31089-2016 English PDF (NB31089-2016)
NB 31089-2016 English PDF (NB31089-2016)
NB 31089-2016: Code for design of fire protection for wind farms
ENERGY INDUSTRY STANDARD OF
THE PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF CHINA
Registration number: J2181-2016
P NB 31089-2016
Code for design of fire protection for wind farms
ISSUED ON: JANUARY 07, 2016
IMPLEMENTED ON: JUNE 01, 2016
Issued by: National Energy Administration
Table of Contents
Foreword ... 5
1 General provisions ... 6
2 Terms ... 7
3 Wind turbine generators and unit transformers ... 8
4 Transmission line ... 10
5 Step-up substation ... 11
5.1 Building fire fighting ... 11
5.2 Fire water supply ... 29
5.3 Heating, ventilation, air conditioning, smoke control and smoke exhaust ... 35 5.4 Fire extinguishers and sand box distribution ... 39
5.5 Electrical fire fighting ... 40
Appendix A Classification of fire hazard ... 49
Explanation of wording in this Code ... 51
List of normative standards ... 52
Code for design of fire protection for wind farms
1 General provisions
1.0.1 To prevent wind farm fire hazards, reduce fire hazards, protect personal and property safety, this Code is hereby formulated.
1.0.2 This Code applies to the newly-built, re-built, expanded onshore wind farms.
1.0.3 The firefighting design of wind farm shall follow the relevant current state and industrial policies, take into account the specific conditions of the project, from the overall situation, take all factors into consideration, actively adopt new technologies, new processes, new materials and new equipment, to ensure safety and application, advanced technology, economical rationality.
1.0.4 The firefighting design of wind farm shall be based on the principle of "prevention coming first, combination of prevention and elimination, based on self-rescue". On the basis of strengthening fire monitoring and alarm, it shall consider as a whole the firefighting measures of the critical fire prevention locations such as the wind turbine generator's nacelle and tower, unit
transformer, power cable, main transformer, power distribution device room, central control room, relay protection room, DC disk room, battery compartment, file room, all kinds of warehouses in the wind farm.
1.0.5 In addition to complying with this Code, the firefighting design of wind farm shall also comply with the requirements of relevant national standards. 2 Terms
2.0.1 Production building
In the step-up substation, the process equipment room to finish the power supply and distribution as well as power substation functions.
2.0.2 Office and life building
In the step-up substation, a building that serves the operation and management of wind farms.
2.0.3 Wind turbine generator
A device consisting of wind turbine blades, nacelles, towers and control systems that continuously convert wind energy into electrical energy.
A closed space enclosed by a nacelle cover supported by a tower. It contains such components as spindle assembly, lubrication and cooling system, gearbox, brake system, coupling, generator, hoist, wind vane, anemometer, yaw bearing, yaw drive, cabin base, lighting system, transmission cable, control cabinet, etc. 2.0.5 Tower
The structure supporting the wind turbine blades and the nacelle, which is generally hollow cylindrical with ladders, lighting systems and transmission cables.
3 Wind turbine generators and unit transformers
3.0.1 The use of materials shall meet the following requirements:
1. Hydraulic system and lubrication system shall use oil product that is not easy to burn or has a burning point (flash point) higher than the operating
temperature of the wind turbine.
2. For flammable materials in wind turbine generators, it shall add a fire protection layer and keep it as far as possible from the fire source.
3. Wind turbine generators shall choose flame-retardant cables with flame- retardancy or low-smoke, low-toxicity and corrosion-resistance.
3.0.2 The configuration of fire detection and fire suppression systems shall comply with the following requirements:
1. The automatic detection and alarm system of the fire hazard shall be installed in the nacelle of the wind turbine generator, the lower part of the nacelle's platform baseplate, the tower and vertical cable tray, the equipment layer at the bottom of the tower, all kinds of electrical
2. The automatic detection and alarm system's alarm signal should be
connected to the wind turbine generator's central control system and
transmitted to the monitoring system of the step-up substation of the wind farm.
3. The automatic firefighting device shall be configured in the nacelle of the wind turbine generator, the lower part of the nacelle's platform
baseplate, the hub, the equipment layer at the bottom of the tower,
various types of electrical cabinets.
4. The automatic fire extinguishing device shall have an alarm and linkage contact and transmit an alarm signal to the monitoring system.
5. Fire detection alarms and firefighting devices shall consider the
characteristics of the unit and internal environmental factors, such as temperature, humidity, vibration, dust, etc. Extinguishant shall be selected according to the type of flammable materials.
6. The wind turbine generator's nacelle and at the bottom of the tower shall be equipped with not less than 2 portable fire extinguishers.
3.0.3 The configuration of the unit transformer shall comply with the following provisions:
4 Transmission line
4.0.1 The overhead lines in the wind farm shall not cross warehouse areas where flammable and explosive dangerous goods are stored. The minimum
horizontal distance from the overhead lines and the category A workshops, warehouses, stacks of flammable materials, category A and B liquid storage tanks, LPG storage tanks, flammable and combustion gas storage tanks shall not be less than 1.5 times the height of the pole (tower).The minimum horizontal distance between the overhead line and the category C liquid storage tank shall not be less than 1.2 times the height of the pole (tower). The minimum
horizontal distance between overhead lines above 35 kV and liquefied
petroleum gas single tanks which have a capacity exceeding 200 m3 or a total volume exceeding 1000 m3 shall not be less than 40 m.
4.0.2 The power cable shall not be laid in the same pipe trench with the pipes which deliver category A, B and C liquid, inflammable gas pipe, thermal pipes. with a fire endurance of not less than 2.00 h. Above the doors, windows, openings on the exterior walls of the garages and repair garages, it shall provide non-combustible fireproof eaves. The height of the wall between the upper and lower windows of the exterior wall shall not be less than 1.2 m. The width of the fireproof eave shall not be less than 1 m; the fire endurance shall not be lower than 1.00 h. When the repair parking space is set in the garage, the firewall and the non-combustible floor slab with a fire endurance of not less than 2.00 h shall be used between the parking part and the repair part.
3. When setting up the kitchen in the office and life building, the partition wall shall be made of non-combustible materials with a fire endurance of not less than 2.00 h. The doors and windows on the partition wall shall be category B fire doors and windows, at a position far away from the supporting production buildings. When there are other houses on the upper floor of the kitchen, a fire-proof eaves with a width of not less than 1 m shall be provided above the opening of the exterior wall.
4. The diesel generator room should be arranged on the first floor and the basement of the building. It shall use the non-combustible partition wall with a fire endurance of not less than 2.00 h and the non-combustible floor slab with a fire endurance of not less than 1.50 h to separate it from other parts. The door shall be category A fire door. When the oil storage room shall be set in the equipment room, the total storage capacity shall not exceed 1 m3. The oil tank of the oil storage room shall be sealed and have the vent pipe leading to outdoor. The vent pipe shall be equipped with a breathing valve with a flame arrester. The lower part of the fuel tank shall be provided with facilities to prevent oil from escaping. The oil storage room shall be separated from the generator room by a firewall. When the door must be opened on the
firewall, it shall provide the category A fire doors.
5. When setting up offices and lounges in category C production buildings, it shall use the fireproof partition wall with a fire endurance of not less than 2.50 h and the fireproof floor slab with a fire endurance of not less than 1.00 h to separate it from the process equipment room, meanwhile it shall provide at least one independent safety exit. If a door that connects to each other is required on the partition wall, it shall use the category B fire door.
6. When setting up a category C warehouse in a production building, it shall use a firewall and a floor slab with a fire endurance of not less than 1.50 h to separate it. When setting up a category D and E warehouses, it shall use a non-combustible partition wall with a fire endurance of not less than 2.50 h and the non-combustible floor slab with a fire endurance of not less than 1.00 h to separate it.
7. At the inlet where the cable is connected from outdoor into indoor, the inlet evacuation exits should be not less than 2. The second exit of the floor may be located on an outdoor platform with fixed stairs. When the length of the relay protection room, power distribution device room and reactive power
compensation device room is more than 7 m, it shall set an exit at both ends of the room. When the length exceeds 60 m, it shall add 1 intermediate evacuation exit.
5.1.18 For dormitory and office buildings in office and life buildings, the number of evacuation doors in each room shall be determined by calculation and shall not be less than 2. The horizontal distance between the nearest edges of two adjacent evacuation doors in the room shall not be less than 5 m. When meeting one of the following conditions, it may provide 1 evacuation door:
1. For the room located between two safety exits which has a building area less than or equal to 120 m2, the net width of the evacuation door is not less than 0.9 m.
2. For rooms at the end of the walkway, if the building area is less than 50 m2 and the net width of the evacuation door is not less than 0.9 m, or otherwise the straight line distance from any point in the room to the evacuation door is less than or equal to 15 m, the building area is not more than 200 m2 and the net width of the evacuation door is not less than 1.4 m.
IV Interior decoration of buildings
5.1.19 For the process equipment room such as power distribution device room, transformer room, capacitor room, central control room, relay protection room, communication room, DC disk room and battery room, as well as fire pump room and ventilation air conditioner room, the interior decoration use the category A non-combustible material.
Note: The combustion performance grade of the decoration materials is divided according to the current national standard "Code for fire prevention in design of interior decoration of buildings" GB 50222.
5.1.20 For the library, data room and archives, the ceiling and wall shall adopt category A decoration materials; the floor shall adopt the decoration materials of not lower than grade B1.
5.1.21 For the kitchen in the building, the ceiling, wall, floor shall use the category A decoration materials.
5.1.22 Deformation joints such as settlement joints, expansion joints and anti- seismic joints inside the building shall be made of category A materials on the base layers at both sides, the surface decoration shall be made of decoration materials not lower than grade B1.
5.1.30 Fire lanes may utilize traffic roads, but shall meet the requirements for the passage and parking of fire engines. The fire lane's pavement, the
firefighting operation site and the pipeline and concealed ditch underneath shall be able to withstand the pressure of large fire engines.
VI Building construction
5.1.31 The constructional design of the firewall and fire partitions shall comply with the following provisions:
1. The firewall shall be placed directly on the foundation of the building or the reinforced concrete frame, beam and other load-bearing structures,
meanwhile it shall be built to the underside of the roof structure layer. When the horizontal distance of the center line of the cross section of the firewall is less than 4 m from the end face of the sunroof, meanwhile the end face of the sunroof is the combustible, it shall take measures to prevent the fire from spreading. The horizontal distance between the nearest edges of the door and window opening on both sides of the firewall shall not be less than 2 m. However, when there is a fixed sash or a category B fire window that can be automatically closed in case of fire, the distance can be unlimited. The firewall inside the building should not be placed at the corner. If the firewall is set near the corner, the horizontal distance between the nearest edges of the door and window opening on the wall at both sides of the inner corner shall not be less than 4 m.
2. Doors and windows shall not be opened on the firewall. When it is necessary to open, it shall provide the category A fire door and window that is fixed or can be automatically closed in case of fire. Pipes of flammable gases and liquids and category A, B, and C liquids are strictly prohibited from passing through the firewall. Other pipelines should not pass through the firewall. When it is necessary to pass through, it shall use the fireproof sealing material to pack tightly the gap between the wall and pipeline. When the pipe is made of flame-retardant and combustible materials, it shall take fire prevention measures on the pipelines on both sides of the firewall. There shall be no exhaust ducts in the firewall.
3. The structure of the firewall shall be such that when the trusses, beams, floors, etc. on either side of the firewall are damaged by the fire, the firewall will not collapse.
4. Fireproof partition shall be used between rooms with different fire hazards or significantly different functions in the same fire compartment. The doors and windows on the fire partition shall be fire doors and windows.
5.1.32 The constructional design of stairwells, stairs and doors shall comply with the following requirements:
4) The door of the evacuation walkway leading to the front room, open
balconies, alcove, as well as the door of the front room leading to the stairwell shall be category E fire doors.
5) Except for the stairwell's door and the front room's door, other doors and windows shall not be opened on the interior wall of the smoke-proof
stairwell and its front room.
6) The first floor of the stairwell may include walkways and foyers in the front room of the stairwell, to form an enlarged smoke-proof front room. However, it shall take such measures as the grade B fire door to separate it from other walkways and rooms.
4. The evacuation stairwell in the building in the step-up substation shall not change in the plane position of each floor.
5. Outdoor stairs may be used as evacuation stairs when complying with the following provisions and may replace the enclosed stairwells or smoke-proof stairwells as specified in this Code:
1) The height of the handrail shall not be less than 1.1 m, and the net width of the stairs shall not be less than 0.9 m.
2) The angle of inclination shall not be more than 45°.
3) Stair sections and landing shall be made of non-combustible materials. The fire endurance of the platform shall not be lower than 1.00 h, the fire endurance of the stair section shall not be lower than 0.25 h.
4) Doors leading to outdoor stairs shall be category B fire doors and shall be opened outdoors. The door in opened state shall not reduce the effective width of the landing.
5) Except for evacuation doors, door and window openings shall not be
provided on the wall within 2 m around the stairs. The evacuation door shall not face the stair section.
6. The stairs used as the second safety exit in the category D, E production building of can be metallic, but the net width shall not be less than 0.9 m and the inclination angle shall not be greater than 45°.
7. Elevation stairs and steps on evacuation passages should not use spiral stairs and fan-shape steps. When it must be used, the plane angle formed by the upper and lower steps shall not be more than 10°, meanwhile the depth of each step 250 mm from the handrail shall not be less than 220 mm.
8. The horizontal net spacing of the two steps and the handrails of the indoor Double fire doors shall have the function of closing in sequence.
3) Except as otherwise provided in this Code, fire doors shall be manually opened both inside and outside.
4) If it is set near the deformation joint, the door leaf shall not cross the deformation joint after the fire door is opened, meanwhile it shall be placed on the side with more floors.
2. When the fire compartment is separated by fire shutters, it shall comply with the relevant provisions of the current national standard "Code of design on building fire protection and prevention" GB 50016.
5.1.34 The fire protection design of the building's curtain wall shall comply with the relevant provisions of the current national standard "Code of design on building fire protection and prevention" GB 50016.
5.1.35 Vertical pipeline wells such as cable wells, pipeline wells, exhaust ducts exhaust ducts in buildings shall be set separately. The well wall shall be a non- combustible material with a fire endurance of not less than 1.00 h, the service door on the well wall shall be a category C fire door. Cable wells and pipeline wells shall be sealed at each floor with non-combustible material or fireproof sealing material not lower than the fire endurance of the floor. The openings communicating with the room, the walkway, etc. shall be sealed by fireproof sealing materials.
5.1.36 Wire and cable, flammable gas and pipelines for category A, B and C liquids should not pass through the deformation joints in the building. When it is necessary to pass through, a casing made of non-combustible material shall be added at the passing place or other deformation prevention measures shall be adopted. It shall use the fireproof sealing materials to block it.
5.1.37 For the flyover connecting two buildings, when the flyover is made of non-combustible material and the exit to the flyover meets the requirements of the safety exit, the exit can be used as a safety exit for the building. 5.1.38 The partition wall in the building shall be cut off from the base layer of the first floor of the building to the base layer of the bottom of the roof slab. 5.1.39 When designing energy-saving buildings, the selection of thermal insulation materials shall consider fire protection requirements.
5.2 Fire water supply
I General provisions
water consumption of outdoor fire hydrant of transformer shall not be less than 15 L/s; the water consumption of outdoor fire hydrant shall be calculated according to the fire water demand of the largest above-ground building. 5.2.7 The outdoor fire water supply can adopt high-pressure or temporary high- pressure water supply system, or low-pressure water supply system. The
setting shall meet the follo...